Friday, June 10, 2011

Hey Mr. B - "Are Ya Ready For What's Next?"

Time to digress from spiritual/political musings(rantings? heh.).
The last couple of years one of my best friends - Mr. B - and I have been jumpin' on the highways and byways out West so we can touch base with the brothers we have that are scattered around various states, and this year is no exception. A little change in direction this time, though: we'll head more east than north on the first leg of the trip.
About 1200 miles east. We're not gonna try to Ironbutt it exactly, but the plan is to arrive somewhere southeast of Topeka by the evening of Sunday July 3rd - after leaving our toasty desert home sometime in the wee hours of July 2nd. The idea being, spend the 4th with another of my best friends and a grip of his bros for a festive 4th. I haven't seen him for a few years, and I'm wondering if I'll recognize him with short hair(snort) - of course he could say the same of me, with my considerably grayer, longer hair. My finely chiseled features have, of course, uh- never mind.
After spending a couple of days there, we'll turn our wheels west. Roll into Colorado for a night, turn north again at the Rockies the next day and into Wyoming, ultimately to wind up in Yellowstone after visiting my ridin' Bro's family. We'll scare the tourists for a day or two and then roll west again into Idaho, play around in the vicinity of the Sawtooth Range - where you can see things like this:








...the things being the mountains,
not the Things in jackets - but they're pretty cool Things too, if I may say so.
I promised a longer visit this year, so we'll be in ID for several days. I really enjoy the open country up that way. I'm looking forward to some long conversations with my pals, too.
We'll turn south after that, go down into Utah and hang with another of our bros for a few days.
Goes without saying(almost, anyway) that we won't be spending too much time sitting still - too many miles of side roads to unwind while we're visiting - which is what our bros expect of us, since they always have rides to take us on, places to show us. Eventually we'll wander back to the blast-furnace of home, to return to our girls and our bros, to regale them with tales and pics from the Road.
We wouldn't have it any other way. (Well - unless we could get paid the same for ridin' all over hell's half-acre as we do for workin' the regular job...)

No comments: