Sunday, December 7, 2008

Bah!



I have a delightful new scar, courtesy of the other driver...
It is the result of a Two-fer: that is, in order to repair the fracture on the bicep side of the elbow, Doc had to cut apart the two bones in the forearm side(I guess it qualifies as a Three-fer, then!) and put plates and screws on both sides. Lovely.
All things considered, I'm not doing too badly; I have to passively exercise the arm, that is, let it hang down so gravity aids in straightening it; rest the elbow on my knee as a pivot point and push it gently as far out as it will go, and then fold it as far as it will go; and last, and by far the most fun, Doc has me placing a book on my open palm - again, resting the elbow on something - and letting the weight of the book work on straightening the arm. I thought I knew what a stiff joint felt like already - my healing elbow informs me that I didn't. Whatever; I make a little more progress every day - it seems maddeningly slow - but after a couple of days go by, I notice. It's just that every gain is measured in fractions of an inch, and I'm not the most patient guy, y'know? Still, I heed Doc's advice and I don't go overboard. It's too important to mess up by getting in too much of a hurry.

No comments: