Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Gotta Do More Than Sputter

Actions speak louder than words.
I'm grateful to all those who spend so much of their time keeping track of all the happy horseshit being perped by those who would remake our country into Euro-lite, or worse. Without blogs like Maggie's Farm, Cold Fury, and too many others to name, where would the information we need come from? How would we know the names, or how to make our voices heard?
Which leads me to the subject of this post.
If, after reading the words or watching the videos, all I do is spit and steam - nothing is accomplished. My energy is wasted. On the other hand, if I pick up the phone, type an e-mail, or type a snail-mail, then I am doing something that, I hope, validates, at least in a small way, the efforts of those who have brought the issues to light. Doing this web thingy takes time. If you're a blue shirt like me, this is something I can only do after I come home from the job - should I not get caught up in something else, like bein a lazy dog, for instance. So I'm grateful.
I learned something years ago, that you all can see happening before your very eyes today - people around the country are raising hell about the crappy path the current admin and congress have shoved down our collective throats. Pols are gettin' really nervous, and so they should! They have been changing their tune plenty fast - some of 'em at least - in the face of an increasingly vocal constituency. And there's the key. An increasingly vocal, visible group of people that aren't waiting around for a form-letter response from their so-called "representative" that ain't representin' them too well anymore. Not content with "We know better than you what you need, and how you should live", they are getting out and getting in DC's face. It's working.
But don't get all happy yet.
As I've pointed out elsewhere, these people are not stupid, and the joke is on anybody who thinks otherwise. Some of them are likely giving lip service to the angry masses, and counting on those angry masses to cool down, to forget or be distracted into allowing business-as-usual to re-commence a little later after it all blows over.
We must not allow that to happen. We must continue to keep the heat on, to make the change we desire by cowing them, or better still, by retiring them once and for all.
Have you noticed I haven't specified a party yet?
If you think our problem children are all in the democrat wing, you've gone from naive all the way into the land of delusion.
Check on the voting records, get involved, raise your voices, show your faces.

If we don't participate in our future, someone else will determine it for us.

No comments: