Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Changing

Halloween, and shortly thereafter my BD, come and gone. Most days I'm content to return home from the job to settle someplace, usually here in front of the 'puter, and veg. Gah. Doing z-e-r-o. My excuse being that I've been navigating this pretzel I refer to as my conscious mind through the muddy, though not often treacherous, waters of Daily Business. I interact with people and machines, all demanding a slice of Time. Some for information, some for direction, some for a chunk of the Company cabbage, some for a turn of the valve or a button-push.
I'm in a constant state of flux.
Years ago I began to train myself to emulate water. To be linear, yet flexible. The linear part is easy - I set myself on a course to be ever better at whatever I do. Flexibility is nominally tougher; I like doing things right. I had to accept that there are variations on that theme, that flexibility demands adaptation. Being acquainted with Darwin, That hasn't been real tough either. Those who can't adapt as things around them change, die, either metaphorically, or really-most-sincerely. In emulating water, I adapt by moving differently, by absorbing/dispersing, by deposition/erosion, or any other illustration one cares to use relating to the behavior of H20 under changing conditions. Even as it changes to meet conditions, it remains essentially the same. Apply heat or light or pressure in certain ways and it purifies. Even frozen it is still fluid. How cool is that? Supercool...LOL.


No comments: